Wednesday, September 15, 2004

An Asian in Asia

I’ve found it interesting being an Asian in Asia, particularly traveling by myself. Unlike traveling through Europe or Australia, I blend in here. People don’t really know how to take me. Sitting by myself in a restaurant, airport or similar location I usually get the following reactions: White foreigners think I’m local and don’t talk to me. Locals think I could be local or maybe a visitor from China or Japan and are hesitant to talk to me. But because I look like them, they are more willing to start a conversation, eventually. This is more common with the young people I run into at restaurants, internet cafes and shops. Their favorite question for me is “where are you from?” I notice that in a mixed group, white travelers will easily start conversations with other white travelers but are not as likely to approach me. Asian travelers tend to stick to the group they are traveling with or simply keep to themselves. Actually, very few Asian travelers talk to people they don’t know. I guess we’re just suspicious by nature. That or they all listened to their mothers and don’t talk to strangers.

I never listened to my mother. So most of the time I’m traveling alone I approach other people. I say “Hi” or make a remark about something just so they know my accent is Western. Sometimes this is all it takes for them to be comfortable in conversing with me. Women are usually easier to strike up conversations with than men but that hasn’t really stopped me from talking to everyone. In some situations, like in bars or restaurants, I wonder if foreigners think I’m a taxi-girl. J I guess that’s why it was great traveling with Lucy. People knew instantly that we were tourists and were more open to chatting with us. On the flipside, I will say that as a solo Asian traveler I’m not as often approached by persistent vendors. Vietnamese see white foreigners as dollar-signs. I believe that they know that other Asians are notorious cheapskates so why bother trying to sell them anything. When I initiate the conversation by saying hello, shop owners will respond and happily chat with me. Many think I’m Vietnamese until they ask where I’m from. I do play the Vietnamese discount angle and frequently I’m met with a cheaper price and a new friend.