Adventures in Hoi An
Today, I had a mission – SHOP! Lucy and I split up for maximum effectiveness. Since my time in Hoi An was limited, I immediately went to Yaly Silk Shop to get fitted for my new clothes. I was greeted by Vãn who helped me pick out some clothes in catalogs, choose materials and get measured. The entire process lasted about 90 minutes and by the end I had 4 shirts, 1 top, 3 pairs of pants, 1 pair of pajamas (for mum), and 1 ao dai (the Vietnamese traditional dress) for $217. Next I went to get fitted for some silk shoes. The young woman who was there was really sweet and told me that I was her first customer and that I will sure bring her luck for the rest of the day. On that street corner I started a conversation with a motorbike taxi driver who was excited that I was Canadian. He had a Canadian flag pin on his hat and was insistent on taking me to the beach. I told him that I was on a shopping mission and that I may take him up on his offer another day. Needless to say, every time I went through this intersection, he and his friends would yell out “Canada!” I was notorious in this small town already and I had only been here for less than 24 hours.
My friendly motorbike driver in Hoi An. I was greeted every day with "Hey Canada!!"
It seemed the entire town of Hoi An was aware that JP was coming. We spoke to three people in three different shops/cafes which had all received calls from JP telling them he was on his way. At around 4:00 pm I was at the internet café across the street when the man himself sat down right next to me. We agreed to meet at Treats at 6:00 pm. Lucy and I donned our “special shirts” that evening and proceeded to incite laughter as we walked down the street. Laughing and pointing weren’t exactly the reaction we were aiming for, but at least we were memorable. We showed up at Treats and JP was heartily impressed by our ingenuity. We got lots of pictures of our popular shirts and he agreed that Lucy and I would be fashion consultants for Troî Oî bar merchandise.
Prior to dinner, we were primed with lots of Tiger beer and snake wine! The latter made me ill for the rest of the evening and prevented me from really enjoying an awesome dinner at The Cargo Club. After dinner we went back to Treats for more refreshments, though I was still feeling ill from the snake wine. Instead of continuing to drink, I was roped into a game of pool with Paul (my new Aussie friend) and was summarily defeated three times. The rest was a blur. We closed the bar down around 12:30 am and wearily walked back to our hotel where I ended the evening with a voluntary purging of the snake wine.
My friendly motorbike driver in Hoi An. I was greeted every day with "Hey Canada!!"
It seemed the entire town of Hoi An was aware that JP was coming. We spoke to three people in three different shops/cafes which had all received calls from JP telling them he was on his way. At around 4:00 pm I was at the internet café across the street when the man himself sat down right next to me. We agreed to meet at Treats at 6:00 pm. Lucy and I donned our “special shirts” that evening and proceeded to incite laughter as we walked down the street. Laughing and pointing weren’t exactly the reaction we were aiming for, but at least we were memorable. We showed up at Treats and JP was heartily impressed by our ingenuity. We got lots of pictures of our popular shirts and he agreed that Lucy and I would be fashion consultants for Troî Oî bar merchandise.
Prior to dinner, we were primed with lots of Tiger beer and snake wine! The latter made me ill for the rest of the evening and prevented me from really enjoying an awesome dinner at The Cargo Club. After dinner we went back to Treats for more refreshments, though I was still feeling ill from the snake wine. Instead of continuing to drink, I was roped into a game of pool with Paul (my new Aussie friend) and was summarily defeated three times. The rest was a blur. We closed the bar down around 12:30 am and wearily walked back to our hotel where I ended the evening with a voluntary purging of the snake wine.


<< Home