Young Entrepreneurs
After lunch we ventured across the way but just as we stepped out of the restaurant were immediately trounced on by a pack of children. These kids were some of the savviest businesspeople I’ve ever encountered. They had a knack for memorizing faces, names and anything that resembled a promise. “Maybe” means “yes”. “No” means “maybe”. Actually, there isn’t a word that means “no”. Quickly, they encircled us like a pack of lions scoping out a herd of wildebeest – picking out the weak-willed victims. Kevin, a.k.a. Mr. White Shirt, had a heart of cold stone and did not waver to the throngs of children insisting he buy postcards from them.
I was accosted by a young girl named Murt who was no more than eight. She became my best friend after I bought some postcards from her (that is until I didn’t buy water from her later). Although her dress was in tatters and she had no shoes on, her English was very good and she also spoke French. Another little boy was insistent on me buying bracelets from him (3 for $1). I told him I would but I didn’t like the ones he was showing me. This prompted the little entrepreneur to run all over the market looking for bracelets of different styles and colors. I ended up following him to his sister’s shop where our deal was completed. These children live in complete poverty where the only breaks they get are the ones they make for themselves. It’s no wonder that they are so assertive. For being in such difficult life circumstances, these children are vivacious and full of enthusiasm and optimism. Their smiles greet every visitor and their laughter is beautiful.
Along with these enterprising children, I met a number of monks at the temples of Angkor. Most were shy in talking with foreigners, especially women, but some were quite eager to talk with us. We learned that not all Buddhist monks are dedicated to their vocation. In other words, some young men “sign up” to become monks much like they would enlist in the mandatory national army service. Entering the monastery is a duty they are required to fulfill for their family or for their future vocation. Service could be as long as 7 years or as short as 7 days. In fact, we heard from our guide that the son of a local wealthy man was a Buddhist monk for only 1 day. Regardless, their commitment is required in odd numbered units such as 1 year, 5 months, 7 days.
Our final stop of the day was to visit the Landmine Museum and Orphanage. A local man named AkiRa established a small, out-of-the-way place which houses an immense collection of landmines (some still live) and stories of the children victimized by these weapons. Their stories were heartbreaking – often involving them doing routine chores or playing in a field at the time of their accident. The children who were at the orphanage were incredible and demonstrated a great spirit and tenacity of character. Although without arms or legs (or both), they seemed to be oblivious to their handicap – playing soccer and laughing with their able-bodied friends. Watching them was inspiring and it was great to see that tour companies, like Imaginative Traveller, who trek through this part of the world do their part to support these local organizations.
I was accosted by a young girl named Murt who was no more than eight. She became my best friend after I bought some postcards from her (that is until I didn’t buy water from her later). Although her dress was in tatters and she had no shoes on, her English was very good and she also spoke French. Another little boy was insistent on me buying bracelets from him (3 for $1). I told him I would but I didn’t like the ones he was showing me. This prompted the little entrepreneur to run all over the market looking for bracelets of different styles and colors. I ended up following him to his sister’s shop where our deal was completed. These children live in complete poverty where the only breaks they get are the ones they make for themselves. It’s no wonder that they are so assertive. For being in such difficult life circumstances, these children are vivacious and full of enthusiasm and optimism. Their smiles greet every visitor and their laughter is beautiful.
Along with these enterprising children, I met a number of monks at the temples of Angkor. Most were shy in talking with foreigners, especially women, but some were quite eager to talk with us. We learned that not all Buddhist monks are dedicated to their vocation. In other words, some young men “sign up” to become monks much like they would enlist in the mandatory national army service. Entering the monastery is a duty they are required to fulfill for their family or for their future vocation. Service could be as long as 7 years or as short as 7 days. In fact, we heard from our guide that the son of a local wealthy man was a Buddhist monk for only 1 day. Regardless, their commitment is required in odd numbered units such as 1 year, 5 months, 7 days.
Our final stop of the day was to visit the Landmine Museum and Orphanage. A local man named AkiRa established a small, out-of-the-way place which houses an immense collection of landmines (some still live) and stories of the children victimized by these weapons. Their stories were heartbreaking – often involving them doing routine chores or playing in a field at the time of their accident. The children who were at the orphanage were incredible and demonstrated a great spirit and tenacity of character. Although without arms or legs (or both), they seemed to be oblivious to their handicap – playing soccer and laughing with their able-bodied friends. Watching them was inspiring and it was great to see that tour companies, like Imaginative Traveller, who trek through this part of the world do their part to support these local organizations.


<< Home