Sunday, August 29, 2004

Angkor What?

Wow! What can I say? We saw the amazing Angkor complex today. We got up at 4:30 am and arrived at the temples at 5:00 am, just before sunrise. We walked across the great bridge in total darkness. It was an eerie feeling to be there before dawn, only able to see the shadows and outlines of the massive stone structures. We found great spots across the pond to capture the five peaks of the Wat. Most head-on shots show only three. It was crazy to see the hundreds of tourists lined up to catch this amazing view. Photographers were everywhere with their tripods and super-extendo lenses.


During our tour, we went to Angkor Thom and entered the South Gate. We proceeded to the Bayon where we learned about the history of Cambodia represented on the walls and reliefs of the structure. We walked through the Royal complex and I took lots of photos of everything. It was unbearably hot and humid but every angle was spectacular and it was worth enduring the temperatures.

The many faces of Buddha that are scattered throughout the Angkor complex.

The jungle temple of Ta Promh was gorgeous. It was the location for Tomb Raider and I got a few shots that I’ll need to compare it to the movie at some point. I can’t believe I just said that I’d watch that horrible movie again.